Thursday, June 24, 2010

DesIGN foR liFE

The reality show by Phillips Stark was very powerful, specially for industrial design students as it showed exactly what we should expect when entering in the industry. I think Stark was always challenging the students to further enhance their thinking and design process. When watching the episodes the major factor that clicked to me was the field of industrial design is so competitive, and in order to make it to the top you need to be very passionate and love what you’re doing just like the winner of the series Isla. Her passion to design really reflected the work she developed, and it paid off at the end as she won the internship. I really enjoyed watching these episodes because they thought me how to think at a deeper level when designing products, and looking at the different processes that the students used to design was also very interesting. This allows me to adopt the best of their styles and apply it to my own work in the future.
To think that Industrial Design is such a competitive field scares me to some degree, because there are so many designers out there and there is always this intense competition between all of us. Therefore I must develop ways to be different and in order to differentiate myself from the rest I really need to learn new skills and use those skills to develop a totally new methodology that would allow me to be successful as a designer in the competitive world.
I think the students were very lucky to get this opportunity to work with Phillip Stark because his is an international icon in the world of design, I may not have had that opportunity but I do appreciate the video because it educates me to a different level. I would like to see more episodes similar to this, I really enjoyed these episodes
.

No comments:

Post a Comment